Monday, April 11, 2011

How did the readings influence your perception of your own clinical decision-making?

I realized a few important things about my clinical decision-making as a result of the readings for this week. I have been able to recognize what I lean on for making decisions in the clinical setting. I am a relatively new nurse, so I still rely upon the evidence and protocols/ guidelines to direct my clinical decision making and practice. I have a pretty good grasp of the most common issues facing my patient population, but I am not experienced enough to rely upon my own intuition in a lot of situations. I was able to locate several clinical decision making systems, which have provided valuable information on treating certain conditions. These systems will be particularly useful when I begin writing orders and planning the treatment of my patients.

I have learned that there is a great need for nursing decision support systems and nurses of all levels of expertise are needed to develop effective programs. I would like to see more clinical support systems to provide suggestions on appropriate nursing interventions based upon the clinical status of the patient.

This module has been very fascinating and has provided me with an opportunity to reflect upon my own clinical decision making and has made me aware of the potential for CDSS specific to the nursing profession.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting how things change when we become aware of how we think and make decisions. Yes, CDSS can help enhance our clinical decision making especially in those moments when human error is highly possible. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete