Hi N6004 instructors and class mates. My name is Jeremiah. I am in my second semester of the DNP program, Neonatal NP emphasis. I obtained a BS in Biology from BYU in 2004. Following graduation from the Y, I worked for the University of Utah in the biology department on lower campus for 2 years. I knew I wanted to work in health care, so I began nursing school prerequisites. I attended nursing school at the U in the accelerated program from May 2007-August 2008. I started working in the NICU at IMC following graduation and have been there since. I love the challenges that arise by working in this unique setting and never want to leave, which is why I decided to pursue my graduate education as a Neonatal NP.
Information technology (IT) refers to the management and processing of information using computers (Hebda & Czar, 2009). IT is becoming more important in health care. Graduate level nurses have the responsibility of learning about information management for several reasons. First, patient records are moving away from hand written to computer based. Being able to access patient information and chart using IT is vital to the profession. Knowing what resources are available for searching evidence based studies and differential diagnoses are also important skills to possess. Understanding what IT tools are available can also assist the APRN, in collaboration with IT trained nurses, to develop new clinical tools to improve patient care and outcomes.
Several examples of IT exist in the unit I currently work in. First, computers are used for several purposes. They are used to chart patient medications. The pharmacist, LIP, or bedside nurse can look at the history of medications given in order to direct plan of care. For example, looking back at the amount of prn pain/ agitation medications can direct goals and care plans for managing patients’ pain. Computers are also used by the physicians and nurse practitioners to enter their notes and assessment. This information can be accessed by the bedside nurse in order to provide a better picture of their patient’s history, past complications, and the plan of care. Labs are also posted on the computer. One particularly useful tool is the Bilirubin management tool. The values are populated into a graph, plotting trends of a patient’s unconjugated bilirubin. This can give the NP and bedside nurse valuable information about managing hyperbilirubinemia and what treatments may be necessary (ranging from phototherapy to exchange transfusion, depending on severity).
The patient’s bedside monitor is also a valuable tool. The monitor alerts the nurse to episodes of apnea, tachypnea, bradycardia, tachycardia, and oxygen saturations. In the most critical patients, transducers on arterial line provide a continuous reading of blood pressure, visible on the bedside monitor. These monitors also record trends that can be used to visualize past events of abnormal vital signs or to establish a baseline, making it easier to recognize when abnormalities occur.
These are just a few examples of the many applications of IT in my practice setting. During the course of the semester, I hope to identify other tools and applications that may be useful in providing the best possible patient care.
Reference:
Jeremiah -
ReplyDeleteNice job on you blog. Your comments underscore the reasons why nurses cannot afford to ignore IT in the clinical setting and various practices especially in this era of EBP. Great comments, looking forward to reading more about your experiences and thoughts.